Sunday, August 08, 2010

Stupid Technology

I am not happy. On Wednesday, the computer monitor died, but luckily we had  a spare one :-)

The main family computer has now decided to go belly-up, half-way through DH performing our data back-up.

I have lost about a thousand hours of academic research work, and lots of  family photos and photos taken over the last fortnight for the blog and not yet posted :-(        DH has spent hours over the weekend trying to salvage as much as possible, to no avail. He has completely re-imaged the machine and reinstalled everything. It worked for a few hours and is now coming up with serious error messages again . It looks like the hard drive is damaged.

So I am utterly reliant on My Precious at the moment.............ho hum.
Share with friends using the share button below.

5 comments:

DebD said...

oh no! Two computers at once. That is distressing.

elizabeth said...

oh no! yikes... Lord have mercy...

Michelle M. said...

I don't know skilled your husband is, but before giving up hope, trying sending it out to a place that can restore data on your hard drive. I had the same thing happen to me years ago, and my husband (a serious computer genius) was able to get it all back.

Best of lucK! I hope you'll be able to restore it. Technology is so wonderful and also so heart-breaking at time.

margaret said...

1000 hours? ouch! This reminds me I haven't backed up for ages and my research is only play research but I'd be going round the bend if I lost it.

Dave said...

You know I feel your pain.