Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Talking About Religion

Or rather, writing about it.

I am finding it harder and harder to write anything meaningful about my religious life these day; I am spending much more effort trying to "live" it ! I am, however, far more aware of my spiritual struggles and the need to be constantly on my guard.

Many scoff at the old-fashioned concept of "custody of the eyes", but I am finding it more and more imperative in my daily life. Only yesterday, an inadvertent click on a seemingly innocent link led me from a mainstream site to a site which I most definitely did *not* wish to see.  I am not a prude; I have a loving husband and four children, and am a qualified midwife :-)  But there are many things that I do not wish to see other people doing, particularly antics best kept within the private confines of a bedroom  okay, house.

Aieee ! I felt unclean, and dived into the shower. If only I could have as easily disinfected my eyeballs and removed the unsavoury images from my mind.
Share with friends using the share button below.

6 comments:

Meg said...

And I am a little envious of you, that are are more aware of your spiritual struggles. Me, I struggle to find things to confess, and that's NOT good.

I've seen Those Sites too. Seeing them reinforces my awareness of the importance of Custody of the Eyes: I don't think that stuff is ever completely erased from your brain. That's how powerful it is, and that's why we shouldn't allow ourselves to see it in the first place. That it's crammed down our throats on a daily basis just highlights how corrupted our society has become. (The most mind-boggling, for me, was when I ordered a set of cross-stitch *crosses* off the internet and went to download them, only to be confronted by some of the most graphic stuff I've ever seen. Gag.)

elizabeth said...

Prayers to the Mother of God can help these images go away...

Lord have mercy.

In general it may be good that it is hard to write about religion; it is to be lived after all!

Neat that you are a qualified midwife!

Lord have mercy also about the sad incident in Cumbria.

Mimi said...

Prayers for you guys, I thought of you immediately when I heard the news.

I love the phrase "custody of the eyes" what a wonderful way to look at it. And, I agree, ick.

margaret said...

Ohhhhhh, Meg, I am so glad to meet another example of sinless perfection, I thought I was the only one :p ;)

Meg said...

Margaret -- yeah. Now, if only I didn't need these horns to hold up my halo... ;-)

Ian Climacus said...

Prayers from Down Under; please remember me also - so easy for me to write or speak rather than act.

Lord, have mercy.