Sunday, June 20, 2010

Recently Read

I thought you might enjoy a quick glimpse into my reading world at the moment :-)


AJ Jacobs'  "The Know-It-All."
I loved this. To be able to have my own set of the encyclopaedia Britannica and read it all from cover to cover is my idea of bliss, so I enjoyed AJ's experience vicariously :-)

"Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel. This novelisation of the life of Thomas Cromwell was hyped to the max by the media, so I put myself on the waiting list at our public library to read it. I was so bored with reading it that I gave up in disgust. I am glad I didn't waste money buying it.


Another book for which I had to wait ages was Tim Moore's "I Believe In Yesterday". This book explores the rather zany world of historical re-enactment fans.  I must nail my colours to the mast and admit that this is something I would love to do; I thoroughly enjoy visiting the living history museums.... it was a fun read, if you like history and people who are obsessed with history. Like me !

I discovered with delight the crime/thriller novels of Faye Kellerman a few weeks ago, and have been anxiously scouring charity shops and book sales to get copies, as well as ransacking the local library.   The books have a very significant Jewish interest/theme whilst dealing with some of the extreme nastiness of life in the modern world, and make a very refreshing change to most crime fiction I have read.  Do try the first one,  "The Ritual Bath".

I dusted off my copy of Bill Bryson's "A Short History Of Nearly Everything" and have had a very enjoyable re-read. I must admit to having vitually everything BB has ever written, and have never been disappointed by any of his books except for his rather boring autobiography, The Life And Times Of The Thunderbolt Kid.
I borrowed that from the library, read it, yawned, took it back and have steadfastly refused to buy a copy to accompany all my other books on "his" shelf -even when I saw a hradback copy in the charity shop for 80p.

All three volumes of Sir Jeffrey Archer's "The Prison Diaries". JA is a wealthy novelist, ex Conservative MP, successful novelist, playwright........  and these books deal with his imprisonment in Britain on less than cast-iron solid charges of perjury. Excellent books, but with some very distressing details about prison life and the inmates he met. The inadequacies  of the so called Justice system are clearly outlined, and make for a very thought-provoking read.
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I love your reading wrapups, I agree I like Bill Bryson a lot.

I'm so disappointed to hear about "Wolf Hall" as I think that Thomas Cromwell is a fascinating topic.