Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Winston Churchill - A Review

Buy
Read



Winston Churchill
Christian Encounters Series
By John Perry
Published by Thomas Nelson



I like most things Churchillian. I thought this had the potential to be an extremely interesting book, given the traumatic times during which he lived, and the chance of finding more about how his religious beliefs influenced his life and behaviour was enough to pique my curiosity and request this book.

I have to say, I was desperately disappointed. I know it is only a slim volume and could barely skim the surface of this immensely complex man, but to spend such an inordinate amount of time talking about his childhood Nanny and her religious beliefs, was a wasted opportunity in my opinion. Churchill may have been very reticent about openly declaring and discussing his own religious beliefs, yet in his personal letters and especially during the War, in his speeches, he made many references to God and about religion. Very little of this was discussed by the author, yet was surely pertinent to the topic.
I was surprised that the author had absolutely nothing significant to say about Churchill’s lengthy and active involvement in rebutting anti-semitism in Britain and his active support of and involvement in the settlement of Israel , as this has been documented extensively by Sir Martin Gilbert in his books “Churchill and the Jews” and “Churchill : A Life.” This was surely a reflection of his underlying Faith, to see justice for the Jews.

I’m sorry, but I truly cannot recommend this book to anyone unless they are simply looking for a very brief and rather dry potted autobiographical introduction to a great man.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

I'm sorry to hear it's so dry, I've not read a biography of Churchill, but would like to someday (but not a dry one, natch)