Thursday, March 11, 2010

Recently Read

I highly recommend both of these books to anyone who loves the quirkiness and absurdity of the English language :-)




"Watching the English" had me roaring with laughter. It is a brilliantly readable and light-hearted sociological analysis of the English as a nation. Much of it also applies to us Welsh too ...... 
 "The Victorian Church" is a scholarly tome, full of fascinating information about the rise of the High-Church movement within Britain.


If you have not read "Bootleg" , I would certainly do so. DD3 and I absolutely adored the idea of revolutionaries -children and adults alike- uniting to fight the horrors of the "Good For You" party when they start banning all chocolate and sugar.
All of the "Miss Read" series are delightful; reminescences of times gone past.




The Tony Hawks book is completely mad. Hilariously funny, but mad. Who in their right minds accepts a bet to hitchhike all round the coast of Ireland with a small fridge? They even take the fridge surfing.........
The Titanic book is a conspiracy theorists's delight, but I found the discrepanices in the official UK and USA inquiries into the disaster to be utterly fascinating reading.


Brother Cadfael - ' nuff said.
One of the sweetest, most tender books she ever wrote, and one to tug at the heart-strings........


And for all you Thursday Next fans, I managed to get a hardback copy of the infamous
 "Shadow the Sheep-Dog" from a thrift shop, and I devoured every single page :-)
 It wasn't a brilliantly written book, I admit, but considerably better than I had expected, considering Thursday's comments about it..........
Share with friends using the share button below.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Oooooh, jealous on your thrift shop find!

And, I loved "Eats Shoots and Leaves"

Meg said...

Miss Read always tops my list of favorite authors. Ellis Peters is a close second, tied with Agatha Christie.

"Eats, Shoots and Leaves" was a riot!!!

margaret said...

You've reminded me I still need to read 'Eats Shoots and Leaves'. Must remember... must remember...