Saturday, March 20, 2010

More On My Day

Snippets that I forgot to mention about yesterday......

Picking up the funeral flowers from the florist's, and walking back home with them, rejoicing in the sight and smell of the irises and stargazer lilies, and being oblivious to the curious glances of passers-by, pedestrian and motorist.

Standing on a chair to get a better shot of the flowers before we drove to the funeral.

Being asked by the funeral director to help carry the caskets from the car to the graveside, and being handed my father's casket to carry, a blessing I did not think might happen.

The tenderness of the funeral director, who was also a childhood friend of my brother, asking my mother would she like to hold the caskets before they were interred, and seeing her cradle the mortal remains of her first husband and her eldest son in her lap one last time, sobbing...

The loving kindness of Fr Philip as he consoled my mother, before, during and after the short service.

A few hours after we got home, seeing a slow, gentle rain fall on the ground, and thinking of the earth settling down, surrounding my brother and father like a comforting warm blanket...

Glory to God for all things.
Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

blessings indeed. my love and small prayers.

Ian Climacus said...

Amen.

My prayers.