Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Jack Daniel's Spirit Of Tennessee Cookbook

Jack Daniel's Spirit Of Tennessee Cookbook
By Lynne Tolley and Pat Mitchamore

 Published by Thomas Nelson







I am a passionate devotee of cookbooks. I have a whole bookcase devoted to them, in fact !


There was no doubt in my mind that I simply had to review a copy of Jack Daniel’s Spirit of Tennessee Cookbook. This 192 page cookbook has superb black and white and colour photographs scattered throughout, but most of the book is - as it should be – devoted to wonderful recipes from Tennessee.

The recipes cover a vast range from Drinks (these include non-alcoholic drinks) to Appetisers, Soups & Salads, Vegetables, Breads, Outdoor Cooking, Desserts, Cakes & Pies, and Accompaniments. They do NOT all include a shot of Jack Daniel’s !

Outdoor Cooking is a true delight, covering how to set up a Pit Barbecue and some stunning recipes to make. I was a little surprised to find that the main chapter including meat recipes has been entitled Entrees; I would love to know whether this was deliberate and done to reflect a specific Southern tradition ?



The recipes are all clear, concise and easy to follow, and only a few would be difficult to make here in the UK due to the ingredients. I’ve not seen Hominy grits or Marshmallow cr√®me in any local shops here, though I am sure it would be possible to get them via the Internet.

I am so glad I requested this book, and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for really unusual recipes for a special occasion. Happy Cooking !

NB:   the cover of the edition I received is different from the one advertised on the Thomas Nelson website, presumably due to copyright/edition differences between USA and International editions.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”




I review for BookSneeze
Share with friends using the share button below.

4 comments:

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Okay, apparently there may be a difference in terminology between the UK and the US.

"Entree" here means the main course, which in practice is usually meat. What does it mean where you live?

Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Over here in Wales, an entree is basically a starter, not a main meal....thank you for the clarification , Anastasia!

Michael said...

Yes, that would confuse me too. AIUI, an entree is so named because it is the entrance into the main course. Ahh well. :-)

I was given for my name day a recipe book with recipes by Levi Roots. I've seen him a few times on the television and some of the things he cooks remind me of my childhood. I hope to do something from the book for parish events, (which is, I'm sure part of the reason I was given the book :-D).

thegeekywife said...

I like to read cookbooks too!

marshmallow creme is delicious. (i'm still blogging, though just by invite. Send me an email and I'll add you, if you choose.)