Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Armistice Day

Today is the eleventh day of the eleventh month, and is Armistice Day.

For the last ten days, many people have been wearing their bright red poppies pinned to their lapels or in their coat buttonholes. I have been one of them, and so have my children. We wear our poppies with pride.

We have had many members of our family who have served Sovereign and Country in the Armed Forces, going back five or six generations which I know. Even in this generation, we have several serving relatives, and we are proud of them.

Becuase of work comittments, I was not sure whether I would be able to make it to our town centre, where the two minute silence would be observed at the eleventh hour......  I made it with a minute or two to spare, by dint of walking very quickly indeed, and I was glad to have made the effort, despite the bitter and numbing cold and the threatening rain.

Between 250 and 400 people were there, by my reckoning, and amongst them were quite a few youngsters in their twenties, as well as a number of people my own age and the bulk of the attendees were 60+.

It was a privilege to participate in paying  public tribute to those brave men and women who willingly sacrificed their lives for freedom and in the pursuit of peace.

It is a staggering fact that since the cessation of the Second World War, there has only been one single year in which no member of the British Armed and Merchant Services has been killed in conflict.

May they rest in peace , and Memory Eternal to each and every one of them.

"We Will Remember Them"

May God have mercy on us all........
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Susie Hemingway said...

We had a very moving Rememberance service at our church in our tiny village. How important it is to remember the loss of so many...too many young lives lost...too many wars...too many hearts broken...but do we learn? I enjoyed your post Elizabeth.