Monday, September 28, 2009

Rick and Bubba's Guide to the Almost Nearly Perfect Marriage

Rick and Bubba's Guide to the Almost Nearly Perfect Marriage
By Rick Burgess and Bill "Bubba" Bussey

Living on the other side of The Pond, I had never before heard of "Rick and Bubba", but the book looked rip-roaringly funny and I decided I simply had to read it. I wondered what their take on marriage would be like.

I most certainly was not disappointed.
The format of two guys swapping comments and anecdotes about their own experiences of marriage led to a highly entertaining read and the accompanying CD was also a delight.

Much of the book is written in a light-hearted vein, (particularly the wonderful “Book of Blame” chapter) but there are many deeper truths hidden just below the humour in many cases, and very explicitly stated in other cases.
The chapter dealing with how Rick and his family dealt with the death of their youngest son was unbelievably poignant, particularly when you consider how many marriages fail to survive after the death of a child. They have managed to grieve and to become closer despite their tragic loss.

The hard work involved in maintaining a marriage, and keeping God as a focus in marriage is never under-estimated, and I really enjoyed the book. It has given me much to ponder on how I can strengthen my own marriage.

I am a member of Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Blogger program

http://brb.thomasnelson.com/
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Meg said...

That's all right, I've never heard of Rick and Bubba either. Sounds like an interesting book, though.