Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years




A Million Miles in a Thousand Years
What I Learned While Editing My Life
By Donald Miller

This is a *fascinating* book.
The author, Donald Miller , was invited to collaborate in adapting his best-selling memoir into a screenplay for a film. The adaptation rapidly took on a very different slant to the life he originally wrote about.

Within a very few minutes of opening this book, I began to think I had made a serious mistake in reading it. The emphasis on re-writing one’s “story”, re-writing one’s life, initially seemed utterly artificial and false to me, and then I remembered a Jewish story about God asking one man why he had spent his whole life striving to be more like one of the great rabbis, when instead he could have been trying to simply be himself to the best of his ability.
This is the essence of Miller’s book, that we can – and should - always strive to be more authentically us.

It is almost impossible to even describe this book, let alone do it justice. It is a complex, soul-searching, at times desperately sad book, with many “aha!” moments which I realised I could apply so easily to my own life, if I took my courage in both hands and made a decision to take a risk, rather than always going with the safe option.

Do I recommend this book ? Yes, without reservation.

The only thing that did disappoint me was to find two typographical errors on one page, which was a shame when the story itself had been so beautifully crafted by the author….

If you are interested, sample chapters can be downloaded here.


I am a member of Thomas Nelson’s Book Review Blogger program

http://brb.thomasnelson.com/
Share with friends using the share button below.

No comments: