Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Flickering Lights

Today, for the first time in ages, I wanted to light the lampada in my icon corner.
I felt an unutterably overpowering *need* to do so.

So I did.

I said morning prayers there, and midday prayers. Each time I walked past the icon corner (it is in our dining room, and to get to the kitchen and the back garden, it is necessary to go through that room!), the sight of the flickering, shining light, casting a wonderful golden glow on all the icons was like a beacon, reminding me of God's love and care for us all.

Each time I saw it, it called me to a a few moments of prayer and gave me some measure of peace in my aching heart.

Simply walking through the room with no lampada burning has never ever had that effect on me, and the oil in the lampada has now burnt out, so the corner is again shrouded in shadow as the daylight begins to fail on this dismal, gloomy and torrentially raining day......

I must make a concerted effort to light the lampada regularly again, to continually call me to prayer and repentance, and to remind me of God.
Share with friends using the share button below.

4 comments:

Meg said...

YES. Prayers for you, dear.

elizabeth said...

Yes. Lighting lampadas is a real act of prayer in itself; it gives comfort.

Mimi said...

Prayers indeed.

Ian Climacus said...

It is wonderful, and amazing, how relatively simple acts can have such an impact.

Continued prayers; God bless.