Friday, June 12, 2009

Also Read




Some classic childhood girls' fiction ! Monica Turns Up Trumps, by Elinor Brent-Dyer of Chalet School Series fame, is one of my special favourites, reprinted by Girls Gone By Press







I love anything by Mabel Esther Allen, and this is a special treat :-)




And another from the Abbey School series. Politically incorrect, they would probably never see the lighht of day if they were written now, but they are valuable as an insight into the mindset of upper middle-class England in the peri-war Colonial era.....
Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Nice! I also appreciate the older books to understand the culture of the past - old Nancy Drew, Dana Girls, Tom Swift - are some of my favourites!

Mimi said...

Ooooh, I also love older books like that.