Saturday, May 23, 2009

On Prayer

An excellent quote from the Benedictine nun, Sister Joan Chittister:

Prayer, Benedictine spirituality demonstrates, is not a matter of mood.
To pray only when we feel like it is more to seek consolation than risk conversion. To pray only when it suits us is to want God on our terms.
To pray only when it is convenient is to make the God-life a very low priority in a list of beter opportunities.
To pray only when it feels good is to court total emptiness when we most need to be filled.
The hard fact is that nobody finds time for prayer. The time must be taken.

There will always be something more pressing to do, something more important to be about than the apparently fruitless, empty act of prayer. But when that attitude takes over, we have begun the last trip down a very short road because, without prayer, the energy for the rest of life runs down. The fuel runs out.

We become our own worst enemies: we call ourselves too tired and too busy to pray when, in reality, we are too tired and too busy not to pray..........
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Ecerything she says is true, of course. I often feel that I'll not bother with Compline, and don't, but when I force myself to, half way through I can't think of why I didn't want to. I just wish I could reach the latter point more often.