Thursday, April 09, 2009

What I've Been Reading III



I am also currently re-reading the four Jasper Fforde books I have been loaned. Incredibly inventive whimsy; if you are well-read and like books in general, you will love these :-)








Fr Michael Keiser's "Prayer" was interesting but didn't "cut the mustard" for me. It was accessible, lucid and well-written but just didn't resonate with me at all and I wish I know why.
Far more likely to be a problem with me than with the book, I assure you !







Another TP, "Thief Of Time". Contains many references to chocolate, hence my avid enjoyment - 'nuff said !!




"Expecting Adam".
I don't quite know what to say about this book. Odd, quirky, containing a great deal of quite remarkable coincidental happenings in the writer's experience of finding that she is expecting a Down's Syndrome son.

Harvard Graduates both, with eight degrees between them, they were targeted to be seriously high-flyers, yet all their plans came tumbling down with the diagnosis of their son's condition, and the oft-voiced comments from their colleagues and Professors that this "defective" baby would destroy their lives and their careers.

Needless to say, Adam transformed their lives in ways they didn't dream were possible, but he did not destroy their lives at all.

Overall, a very inspiring story, but the attitudes of many of the Harvard folk are depicted as chilling in the extreme, and so Eugenicist that they made my flesh creep.
Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

DebD said...

I read "Expecting Adam" several years ago and thought it was a very gentle but honest book.

Mimi said...

I want to be Thursday Next when I grow up. LOVE them.