Monday, April 27, 2009

More Books






"Moving Pictures" is one of the funniest Terry Pratchett Discworld books ever. My poor copy has been read so many times now that it is literally falling to bits. I may have to buy another copy very soon :-) If you like the concept of Movies quite literally taking on a life of their own, give this book a go.









This is the final book in a trilogy of reminiscences by a midwife named Jennifer Worth. We meet even more characters from the East End of London, just before the Dockland slums were pulled down.

It is an engaging read,but I would issue one warning:-
The chapter detailing the lengths to which women would go to procure illegal abortions is particularly distressing and the author pulls no punches about preferring to see medically supervised abortions being available to some of the cases she saw.



I have read several other books, but I can't for the life of me remember in what order at the moment. Unusually, my camera is being of no help to me at all, LOL.
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Ian said...

[Adds "Moving Pictures" to his next request list for the library...]

I'm picking up "Soul Music" today.