Monday, March 02, 2009

Yes, I Have Read A Lot Recently !



This book about the Royal Martyr Elizabeth had me a litle perplexed. The author most obviously has much affection, esteem and reverence towards Ella, yet his attitude to Ella's sister who became Tsarina is exactly the opposite.

It contains much insightful information about Ella's early life and upbringing which explains her piety, devotion to the cause of serving others and her selflessness. She is depicted as a flawed human, yet someone who was special and indeed touched by God.
An interesting book, which I will certainly buy for myself !




Shadows is a heart-rendingly sad yet unbelievably funny book ! It chronicles the lives of some of the characters that Jennifer Worth encountered whilst working as a midwife in the London Docklands in the 1950s.

It is a sequel to "Call the Midwife", itself an amazing book, yet I must warn you that "Call the Midwife" contains some depictions of the sexual depravities to which people could sink inasmuch as they pertain to the life stories of the people she worked with. Caveat Lector !




Proust and the Squid is a fascinating book if you have ever wondered how and why people learned to read. It covers much ground and explains the biological differences in how left and right handed people process information and learn to read.
I found it utterly absorbing, but a bit dry :-)
Share with friends using the share button below.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Oooh, all three of them look good.

Monica said...

I'd like to read Ella.

Mary Poppins NOT said...

I read the book on Ella and thought it was fascinating. I loved that the story was told from two perspectives, and yet the two blended to one view in the eternal realm.