Monday, September 15, 2008

Feeling Guilty

UPDATE to add;

Thank you all so much for your insights.
I have stopped feeling guilty and will phone the person concerned later today or tomorrow morning. I know I may have been a little abrupt on the phone and caused distress if I took the call, hence I refrained from answering it !
Solitude, and a good brisk walk with the dog have restored my peace of mind and a rather more positive attitude :-)




================================================================================

I have just deliberately **not** answered the phone on the hunch that I knew the identity of who might be calling me. Dialling 1471 revealed the identity of the last caller, and I was correct in my assumption.

I simply could not face having a long involved conversation with this person today. I just feel stressed, harrassed, slightly under the weather, and a bit fed up. Nothing major, just bleuch.........

I would really like to have some peace and quiet and relative tranquility whilst the small ones are at school today, to brace myself for the baking session the young ones and I have planned for after school.

And of course now I am feeling profoundly guilty because I didn't answer the phone.

Sigh.

It is going to be one of those days.
Share with friends using the share button below.

5 comments:

Fr. Gregory Hogg said...

I know of no moral obligation to answer the phone. In fact, when I've spoken to people with difficult relationships, I've sometimes encouraged them to buy an answering machine or call display--not to remain permanently out of touch, but to allow some time for healing before engaging in the work of active love once again.

FWIW.

The unworthy priest,

Fr. Gregory

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

Enough already with the guilt! We are not supposed to be at the mercy of our telephones. THEY are supposed to serve US, not vice-versa.

May you rejoice and be glad in this day.

Philippa said...

What they said!

I do that all the time...not answer the phone. There are times when I am emotionally not in a good place and cannot deal with certain people. Therefore, I do not answer the phone. I call them back "when/if" I am up to it on another day.

No guilt necessary.

Becky said...

Hi Elizabeth,

I am so glad you found my blog. I am very interested in reading yours.

Happy blogging!

Ian said...

I add my chorus to those above.

And admit I do not answer the phone sometiems too. Fr's comments on allowing time for healing make sense to me.

God bless.