Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Year Of Living Biblically

Has anybody read this book yet ?
I have read reviews of it and it looks extremely interesting, not to mention amusing, in places. It is apparently not being released in the UK till 1st March.

It would not have dawned on me before to consider the potential difficulties of living an observant Orthodox Jewish lifestyle in Manhattan, especially the prohibition against men sitting on anything which has been sat upon by a menstruating woman. Sitting on public transport is therefore a no-no.........

Excerpts and more info here.

Perhaps we could do a communal book, The Year Of Living Orthodox Christianity :-)
Share with friends using the share button below.

5 comments:

Chart Smart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Huw said...

Following the Bible commands literally only makes one a Biblical literalist. Like Orthodox and RC Christians (and everyone else, really) Judaism has a huge oral, extra-biblical tradition that explains and expands the textual sources. For example you can eat a cheese burger as a literalist, but not as a rabbinic Jew.

But I thought the "Year" book when into the NT? Or maybe he plans to do another one?

Elizabeth said...

Huw,
BTW, he is on Facebook and is now in my friends list:-)

He said he will be in UK doing promo for the book in February, so I would like to go see him if possible....

Huw said...

That sounds really cool! I look forward to reading a good post on that!

DebD said...

My bloggy friend Pres. Elizabeth at Posts from Portland has read it and liked it quite a bit. I don't remember if she blogged about it though. I read her review over at GoodReads.