Monday, October 22, 2007

Savage Britain

I was appalled to read that the thug who deliberately and unprovokedly punched and partially blinded a 96 year old war veteran on a tram has escaped a jail sentence

Purely as a matter of interest, what would be a typical punishment for such a crime where you live ? I sincerely hope that it would be a jail sentence.
People as aggressive, stupid and undisciplined as this man should not be walking the streets knowing they can thump anyone who gets in their way and that they will get away with it........
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Dave said...

You know what the typical punishment would be where I live, but where I used to practice law, it would aggrivated battery, a class B felony, punishable by 6 to 20 years. If he had no prior felony convictions and/or given his psychiatric problems, and if the case drew a favourable judge in the lottery, and prison overcrowding, I might have gotten him 6 years with maybe three of those suspended and something like 4 years probation - which translates into 18 months in jail as long as he behaves himself.

I had a client kill someone, show absolutely no remorse, and he got 18 months of actual prison time.

I teach school now. Wonder why?