Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Killing Of A King

UPDATE

Doh ! I cannot believe I was stupid enough to say it was the queen`s father when it was, of course, her grandfather. I blame it on insufficient caffeine.....
Many thanks for all those who kindly pointed it out and it has been duly amended.
****************************************************************************

Sometimes it seems as though euthanasia is a modern concept, to judge by the items which appear in the news.

A rather more shocking fact has recently come to light relating to the death of our Queen`s grandfather, whose existence was coldly, calmly and calculatedly terminated by lethal injection by his attending doctor so that the king`s death could be announced at a convenient and "fitting" time.

Full story here from the British Medical Journal, with commentary from a British GP here .

I was appalled and shocked at the reasons given, and can only imagine the Queen`s grief at finding out the truth of what happened to her beloved Grandfather............
Share with friends using the share button below.

8 comments:

DebD said...

I'm confused. Isn't George V the Queen's Grandfather? It says he died in '36 but I recall that Elizabeth II's father was alive during WWII.

Perhaps I am confused.

Dave said...

He is the Queen's grandfather.

She still might be a little upset.

Dr John Crippen said...

Yes, it was her grandfather...

...and things were different in 1935 in terms of medical management, but nonetheless, I think that what Lord Dawson did was outrageous. And however much moral mitigation you may feel there is, LEGALLY this was murder


John

Mimi said...

What? What a horrible story, father or grandfather.

Debbi said...

Whew - glad we figured out who begat whom. Grandfather or father, this is a chilling story.

DebD said...

Eek Gads! That was me. I didn't even know I had an account set up as "Debbi". Must be my new gmail popping up where I least expect it.

Elizabeth said...

Deb, I am also swamped with email adresses :-)
My old ISP, my two with the new ISP and my gmail account - all those passwords to remember. Gulp.

Elizabeth said...

Dr Crippen,
Many thanks for posting the original article on your blog and for your comments here.

I agree with you; I think it was murder then, and it is still murder now. Palliative care is not the same as euthanasia (such a nice way of disguising the word murder)........