Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Two Books

I am reading two books at the moment, both of them riveting and as different from each other as chalk and cheese.

One is Metropolitan Anthony Bloom`s "Living Prayer", the other is Mark Pinsky`s "The Gospel according to The Simpsons".

From Metropolitan Anthony :

"Theophan the Recluse says:`You ask yourself, "Have I prayed well today?". Do not try to find out how deep your emotions were, or how much deeper you understand things divine; ask yourself: "Am I doing God`s will better than I did before?" If you are, prayer has brought forth its fruits, if you are not, it has not, whatever amount of understanding or feeling you may have derived from the time spent in the presence of God."

Ouch. That struck home. I don`t think I am doing God`s will better than before.
I think I have a long way to go.

On a lighter note,The Simpsons book is a detailed critique of the "spiritual life of the world`s most animated family", and covers every aspect of the show, from its treatment of Hindus, Jews, Catholics, Fundamentalist protestants, moral dilemmas, personal prayer and much more. Impossible to find short quotes from without destroying the flow of the text:-( but I am really enjoying it.
Share with friends using the share button below.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Isn't Metroppolitan Anthony's book amazing? I first bought it on the advice of my priest, and have enjoyed it enough to re-read.

And, the creater of the Simpsons and I went to the same college (not at the same time, though)

see-through faith said...

ouch!