Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Sand That Wasn`t.

I took Basil the dog for a walk on the beach yesterday.
On the way back up the beach, near some rocks, I could see a bundle on the sand, so we walked over to investigate. It was a lovely bouquet of lilies, wrapped in cellophane and tied with ribbons.

I imagined it was a memorial tribute to one of the people who have sadly drowned on this stretch of coast in past years due to some of the worst coastal riptide currents in the whole of Britain.

Imagine, then, my horror, when I turned around and found myself walking on silver sand lying on top of the golden sand of the beach.
Except it wasn`t silver sand, it was the scattered ashes of the cremated remains of someone.

I got off the ashes forthwith and made the sign of the Cross, praying earnestly for the repose of the soul of the unknown departed person. I would not knowingly ever have walked across that stretch of beach if I had realised that there lay the ashes of someone, in the same way I would not have walked across someone`s grave.

Today I said the akathist for the repose of departed souls.
God grant them all peace.
Share with friends using the share button below.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

There are a lot of things that bother me about the entire cremation thing, but this is certainly one of them. Yikes.

May the person's Memory be Eternal.

Laura said...

Wow...what an experience...

Memory Eternal.

Philippa said...

Good grief! That's horrible. Another advertisement for no cremation and scattering of ashes.

Lord have mercy!