Monday, August 21, 2006

Quicksand

The coastal dune system where I sometimes walk Basil is a glorious place, but his favourite place is definitely the beach. He will run huge distances in order to jump in the sea, and one day last week the tide was really far out.I have known since I was a small child of the dangers of the "second beach" across from our town, where there are patches of quicksand, but I had an inadvertent experience of it first hand in an unexpected location!

I was following Basil, and trudging through the wet sand as we followed the rapidly retreating tide, and I noticed several small fresh water springs amongst the sand on the beach. Another hundred yards along and I felt myself sinking three inches deep in the space of the blinking of an eye. I have to say, I have never been so scared in my life for my physical safety.

I galloped out of the danger area, quite literally, with several pounds of thick glutinous and foul-smelling mud adhering to my trainers and trousers, and trudged home. Basil of course, had wisely avoided all the danger spots and was just muddy and somewhat baffled by my determination to get home as quickly as possible.

I did look a dreadful sight and smelled vile, and was profoundly glad to get home and get myself and Basil cleaned up.

Needless to say, if the tide is far out, I will not cross that part of the beach again in a looooong time.........
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Yikes! Thanks be to God you were ok. I have to admit, Quicksand scares me.