Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Kitchen Notes

Have you ever done something , however inadvertently, which has caused damage to an appliance?

I nearly blew up the microwave last week.

I was cooking some broccoli, and I hadn`t noticed that a tiny piece of metallic wrapper from a chocolate bar must have been on the kitchen worktop and had got stuck to the undeneath of the bowl.When I opened the microwave door, there was a vile acrid smell, the broccoli was burnt to a crisp and the bowl had partly melted.
And the microwave was no longer working.
Not a flicker of life.

I turned it off at the mains and then back on again, hoping that might improve things, but nothing.I stood there for a few minutes, wondering how to tell DH that I had blown it up, knowing that our budget this month is exceptionally tight due to the dog`s vet bill and the car insurance premium falling due, so there was no hope of any cash to replace it in the foreseeable future.

I **really** didn`t want to see him worrying about how to replace it with zero spare money. In the end I decided to say nothing till I had had chance to mull it over for a while, and we sat down to eat our tea.Once I had washed the dishes, out of curiosity, I tried the microwave again, and it was working perfectly again. Indeed, it continues to work well, thanks be to God.

So, I didn`t have to say anything to anyone, but believe me, I now check the underneath of any dish going into the microwave with an almost obsessive fervour !
Share with friends using the share button below.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Whew! Thanks be to God