Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Get Ready for Our Lady of Walsingham on 15th October

For those of you wishing to celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of Walsingham on October 14th for Vespers and the Feast on 15th, if using the Western Hours, here is some brilliant info from the
Western Rite Vicariate, AOC

By St Gregory the Great Orthodox Church, Washington DC
Our Lady of Walsingham
October 15th
Greater Double


Evening Hymn: Hail, O star that pointest

V. We will go into his holy house.
R. In the place of His presence will we worship.

1+2 V Antiphon on Magnificat:
Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people,* and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Invitatory: The Son of God who dwelt with Mary and Joseph in the Holy House of Nazareth;* O come, let us worship.

Morning Hymn : The Lord whom earth and sea and sky
Or O glorious maid exalted far.

V. We will go into his holy house.
R. In the place of His presence will we worship.

Antiphon on Benedictus:
And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord,* they returned into Galilee, to their own city Nazareth.

Collect:
O God, who in the Blessed Virgin Mary didst make a fit dwelling place for the Son: grant, we beseech thee, that we who honour her shrine at Walsingham may also become temples of Thy Holy Ghost; through……

Huw Raphael at Sarx has a great link to information for the hymns, prayers, readings for the Liturgy of the Feast !









Share with friends using the share button below.

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Are you close to Walsingham? Prayers with you for the Feast!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Mimi
Unfortunately I live quite a distance away :-(
It takes about 7 hours by coach to get there.
Last time I went I was pregnant with DD3, and she is nearly 7 and a half, so I am way overdue a visit !
It is an amazing place; the atmosphere of peace,prayer and holiness is tangible. It would be a joy to attend Liturgy there at the pan-Orthodox chapel.
Next time I go I will be taking a list of my blog-friends so I can light candles for you all !

Richard said...

Walsingham is indeed a splendid place: I was last there shortly after Easter on the (Anglican) Children's Pilgrimage, as one of the leaders of the Chichester Diocesan Group.

Our Lady of Walsingham is on 24th September in the West, though, so I'm slightly confused. Is 15th October the Julian date for the Gregorian 24th September, or do the Orthodox simply have another date for the feast?

Elizabeth said...

Hi Richard
The Western Rite Vicariate of the Antiochian Orthodox Church has 15th October listed as their celebration of Our Lady of Walsingham, which is also the actual date of translation of the Statue from the parish church to the Holy House in the Shrine.

Oct 15th will be celebrated at the Walsingham Shrine by Solemn Mass at 6pm, BTW.

I really have no idea why 15 Oct was chosen over 24th September :-) but I like to celebrate both in my private prayers !

Also BTW, 2006 is the 75th anniversary of the Translation of the Statue to the Holy House, sothere will be big celebrations at the Shrine according to August`s Walsingham Review.
I might need to start gently arm-twisting DH now....

Ian said...

I may have to start saving for 2006. I've never been on any pilgrimage before; that would be a great one.

Thanks for the reminder of the feast!

Mimi said...

Next time I go I will be taking a list of my blog-friends so I can light candles for you all

Oh, that's so sweet, dear Elizabeth! Thanks!

I didn't know 2006 would be an Anniversary date - wouldn't that be grand to make a pilgrimage, Ian?